The City of Scribner is seeking applications to fill position of assistant city clerk upon retirement of the current assistant city clerk. Work includes assisting in detailed performance and maintenance of recordkeeping; ability to learn various computer software systems including accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliation, and utility billing; assists banking and transferring of money, signs checks, supervises the checking and verification of invoices, warrants and claims presented for payment; supervises operation of City offices in absence of city administrator.
Qualifications include any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to associate degree in accounting, records management, public administration or closely related field or equivalent two years’ experience in an office environment. Candidate will be required to engage in training to continuously improve in municipal government. The City of Scribner offers a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with education and experience.
For complete job description and application contact City of Scribner Offices at firstname.lastname@example.org. or call (402)664.3231. Applications must include resume and references. EOE. Open till filled.
POSITION: Assistant City Clerk
SUPERVISION: City Administrator/Clerk
POSITION SUMMARY: Work includes clerical work and standard office practices; assist the City Administrator/Clerk in the operation of the City office, responsible for the performance of complex clerical duties related to the custody of official records of the City, perform day-to-day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, computing, posting, and recording accounts payable for City Council approval and subsequent payment to vendors.
- Process accounts payable and accounts receivable and maintain utility billing records.
- Assist with the preparation of agendas and information packets of the City Council and related follow-up work.
- Assist with preparation of various legal notices, including hearing notices, minutes, and ordinances for publication; create and process renewals for liquor and tobacco licenses.
- Review various documents including agendas, minutes, legal description, notices and advertisements for accuracy and contents.
- Carry out some functions designated to the City Administrator/Clerk in their absence and assist in daily office operations.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Problem solving and critical thinking to conduct fact-finding projects.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, officials, and the public.
- Ability to maintain regular and dependable attendance on the job.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- Proficiency in the use and operation of equipment, including but not limited to the following:
- Computer (software applications for accounting, payroll, Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheet, and Outlook)
- Copy machine for copying, scanning, and faxing.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to associate degree in accounting, records management, public administration, or a closely related field or equivalent, with a minimum of two years’ experience in an office environment.
- Previous experience utilizing computer software, spreadsheets and word processing required.
- Must be willing to obtain further education in municipal government and attend training or classes pertaining to the job description.
- Valid driver’s license.