The City of Scribner recognizes that the retention and expansion, along with the attraction of new businesses, is occurring in a very competitive marketplace. In order to make Scribner as competitive as possible, the community must strive to use all financial and human resources available by using federal, state, municipal and private sources.
City Sales Tax—LB840-was approved by Scribner voters in 2009. The Scribner Economic Development Program is funded by the proceeds from a 35 percent of a 1-1/2 (one and one-half) percent local sales and use tax for a period of 15 years. It is estimated that $110,000.00 per year will be generated for the Economic Development Program for an estimated 15-year total of $1,650,000.00. For more information, contact Elizabeth Valla, Economic Development Director at (402) 664-3101.
Scribner Improvement and Industrial Corporation Revolving Loan Fund – is a local plan for projects located within Scribner. The objectives of the reuse fund are to provide financing for start-up and existing businesses that cannot obtain conventional financing, to attract new business to the area and to create and retain jobs for low to moderate income persons. An application review committee has been created to review applications. For more information, contact Martin Koopman, Scribner Improvement and Industrial President, at 402-664-2461.
Tax Increment Financing (TIF) – The City of Scribner has the ability to use TIF to assist a new or expanding business in order to fund public improvements associated with private developments in “blighted or substandard” areas of the community. This financing captures the projected increase in property tax revenue, which results from the private development. The maximum period on this is 15 years.
Scribner Industrial Park – The Scribner Improvement and Industrial Corporation is negotiable on land pricing for sites located at the Industrial Park.
Nebraska Advantage – The Nebraska Advantage package was designed to create a business climate that makes Nebraska the preferred location for starting and growing your business. The Nebraska Advantage rewards businesses that invest in the state and hire Nebraskans. In this progressive, pro-business tax climate, corporate income and sales taxes are reduced or virtually eliminated.
Links to Financing Opportunities
- Northeast Nebraska Economic Development District
- Nebraska Business Development Center-Wayne
- USDA Rural Development – Norfolk (402) 371-5350
- Northeast Nebraska Housing Initiative (NEHI), Inc. (Down payment Assistance)
- Center for Rural Affairs – REAP (Rural Enterprise Assistance Program)
- Greater Fremont Development Corporation
For additional information or questions, contact:
Scribner Economic Development Office
530 Main Street, PO Box D
Scribner, NE 68057
Economic Development Director
Office (402) 664-3101
Fax (402) 664-3162
Cell (402) 719-8589
Links to Partners and Resources
- Bureau of Business Research
- Business Information Center-SCORE – Norfolk Office
- Nebraska Public Power District
- Nebraska Department of Economic Development
- Business Assistance Center
- Nebraska Business Development Center
- Nebraska Department of Agriculture
- Nebraska Department of Revenue
- Nebraska Department of Transportation
- Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality
- Nebraska Economic Developers Association
- Nebraska Energy Office
- Nebraska Environmental Trust
- Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA)
- Nebraska Workforce Development Department of Labor – Norfolk Office
- Nebraska Rural Development Commission
- Nebraska State Fire Marshal
- Nebraska Tourism
- Northeast Nebraska RC & D
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Social Security Administration
- University of Nebraska Center for Applied Innovation
- University of Nebraska Center for Entrepreneurship
- University of Nebraska Center for Rural Research & Development
- University of Nebraska Food Processing Center
- USDA Rural Financing Programs