Highlights from July 28th’s City Council meeting:
- Miles for Heroes Freedom Fest will be held August 28 & 29 with three bands performing on Main Street August 28 @ 7pm. The 5k will be August 29 @ 8am and the poker run will begin at Glory Daze @ 11am.
- The Scribner Rescue biscuits and gravy breakfast will be held at the Scribner Fire & Rescue Station on August 29, from 8-11am. Free will donation.
- The Scribner Fire requested a liquor license for their annual fish/chicken fry, with the tentative date of August 29, from 5:30-8:30pm. (It has not been set in stone yet, like all the events above, it will be based on Directed Health Measure mandates). If it moves forward, it will be held at the Scribner Fire & Rescue Station. The original fish fry date was cancelled back in March, due to COVID19.
- Steven Stumpe, Scribner’s Fire Chief, added to the fire pit reading, asking that in-ground pits be allowed, as they tend to be safer than the mobile pits, as mobile pits can be moved around. He also requested that pits be allowed 15ft from a structure, rather than 20ft, as most patios are 20×20, and that would put the pit in the grass. He also suggested that whether the in-ground pit was there before residents moved in or not, to have a locate done on the gas line, for the safety of everyone. The final reading and voting on the updated fire pit ordinance will be at the next meeting: August 24 @ 6:30pm. Stumpe volunteered to help rewrite the ordinance.
- The pool will be closing August 6, due to the lifeguards needing to go back to class. It was mentioned to maybe have a pool movie night before the closing date. As of right now, the pool is free admission and open to the public 7-days a week, from 1-6:30pm.
- The mobile food bank held in the parking lot of the city office, via Fremont Care Corps Lifehouse, comes to Scribner on the last Tuesday of the month. It has been serving an average of 100 individuals each month. The food bank kicked off in June. The second food bank will be held July 28 from 5-6pm. Forms to participate in the food bank are located in the city office foyer and can be dropped off in the dropbox, which is also in the city office foyer.